Lunchtime Games

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lunchtime Games

Selene Situ, Assistant Editor-In-Chief

During Lunch, Toby Johnson Middle School’s leadership team hosts games for students to play. About two to three students host the games. Popular songs are also played on speakers during the games. Students get the chance to win prizes from the games, such as candy.

A recent lei tossing game with a hawaiian theme was played. The lei tossing game consisted of players, in pairs, who tried to throw leis on each other’s necks. The prize for this game was a lollipop.

Another lunchtime game was “Find the Gummy Worm.” In this game, four students had to compete to find 10 gummy worms hidden in whipped cream within a minute. The first person to find all of the gummy worms won, and earned gummy worms as a prize.

Eighth grader Natalia Kurpiewski participated in a couple of the lunchtime games run by leadership students. She played “Steal the Bacon” and an obstacle course game. Natalia didn’t win any of the games, but she had lots of fun.

“I like the obstacles and I think it’s a good way to have some fun with your friends during lunch. It also provides a time for students to make new friends,” Natalia said.

Lana Trudell, a 7th grader, participated in “Don’t Pop The Balloon” and “Steal the Bacon.” She won both games, and received chocolate eggs and Jolly Ranchers.

“I feel that they are very fun and enjoyable, no matter what the outcome is of the game.” “Steal the Bacon is my favorite lunchtime game,” she said.

There was also a Jungle Week for lunchtime games, meaning that all the activities throughout those five school days had a jungle theme. For example, there was a “Jungle Wildlife Tic Tac Toe” game on April 25th. The prize for the tic tac toe game was an option of either a cookie or a piece of candy.

Leadership student Madon Lou-Dizon hosted a few lunchtime games and was asked to share his opinion on them.

“My favorite game to host was Duck Duck Splash because of the water balloons. I mostly explained the rules and got people to play which was great ‘cause I know a lot of people. It’s really fun to get other students involved,” he said.  The game Duck Duck Splash is similar to the well known game Duck Duck Goose, but the only change is that rather than tagging a fellow player, a water balloon is thrown at them.

Lunchtime games makes lunch more fun and lively. The leadership students do a great job with getting students involved and participants definitely enjoy them.