Cross Country Championship Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cross Country Championship Meet

Timothy Doan, Staffer

On the 15th of October, our Cross Country Jags participated in an after-school Championship Meet at Elk Grove Park. It was a 1.5 mile race. Teams were divided into four different sections: 7th grade girls, 7th grade boys, 8th grade girls and 8th grade boys. These four different divisions had their own races. With this, every school in the championship had the chance to gain a banner to hang up in the gym of their school. Everyone in the race was trying to run with 100% effort in order to earn a banner.

First off was the 7th grade girls. Unfortunately, in order to have a team score, a team need to have at least five members scoring. However, TJMS only fielded four 7th grade girls. But, it does not mean that our Jags didn’t do well. Our top 7th grade runner, Jenna Calvert, with a time of 9:46.4, scored second place out of 37 runners. Our second best runner, Ali Fahlen, earned third place overall with a time of 10:11.2.

Up next was our 7th grade boys. With seven runners, they were able to score as a team. Out of the five full school teams, our 7th grade boys did well and were able to earn 2nd place with 54 points. The top three teams went neck and neck, scoring within three points of one and other. Our leading 7th grade boy, Aidan Catanzaro, placed fifth overall with a time of 10:01.4.  Behind Aidan was Benjamin Labucay who placed 6th place overall that had a time of 10:03.2.

The 8th grade team placed third out of four teams with a score of 72. They ran a good race with our leading runner, Sia Sama, placing eighth place with a time of 10:47.7. Backing her up was Maci Reyes who placed twelfth place with a time of 11:21.5. After going through last year’s season without any 8th grade girls, it was a great improvement to have a full team.

Finally the main event of the championship was the 8th grade boys race. The TJMS boys were able to claim the 4th place spot, with a score of 109, just  7 points behind the Elizabeth Pinkerton kids. Benjamin Schroader, with a time of 9:16.1, scored 9th place overall. Our leading runner, Ahmaad Lewis, placed 6th place overall with a time of 9:09.9. This was the school record for the season!

With the Cross Country season coming close to its end, the coach is excited to see the 7th graders return to the team next year, and he hopes that the 8th graders will continue running Cross Country when they head over to FHS.