Should Students Take All Tests and Quizzes Online?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Isabella Sigal, Staffer

As we all know, the times are changing. In the last decade, there has been an increased amount of technology activity, and Toby Johnson Middle School is no exception. Teachers assign numerous tests and quizzes on computers, so the traditional assignments on paper are not the only option anymore. However, not everyone is happy about the change.

Students who are against this increase in online school work argue that taking tests and quizzes on computers comes with a variety of problems. Some students like to work out a problem or annotate a piece of text. Unfortunately, this is often not an option when completing assignments on a screen. Although students can complete their work on a separate piece of paper, many argue that this is much less convenient. They also point out that a lot of online activity runs the risk of technical difficulties, which waste valuable classroom time. For instance, many of our science assignments are virtual labs, and these programs do not save work after logging off. So, it makes it impossible for students to continue where they left off.  However, many other students prefer taking tests and quizzes online. They explain that it is an interesting change, and eliminates some of their boredom or anxiety. Rather than completing all assignments on paper, they take comfort in the fact that there are a variety of options. Students who are for this change also argue that taking tests and quizzes on computers is much more convenient. They say that with a single click, an assignment can be turned in, and submitting work electronically eliminates the risk of any assignment getting damaged or lost on the way to the teacher’s desk. Students are also happier that it is much harder for others to cheat. Finally, they remind critics that it saves paper, which saves trees.

There are many different opinions on the subject. Here’s what two students think:

Isabel Ramirez writes:

I believe that students SHOULD NOT take all tests and quizzes online, because it has numerous amounts of inconveniences that NO ONE would want to go through. Students generally find it frustrating when they are not able to highlight the text, annotate, or when they simply cannot complete a test because of technical problems. It is an inconvenience when you have to go through these steps just to finish a test. A paper copy of the test would be both much  easier to use and would utilize your valuable class time better. Following the idea on technical problems, some classes cannot even start a test, because of the amount of people who are online. With the paper tests though, you can start anytime without having to wait for the long loading process. Ultimately, I believe that students SHOULD NOT have to take all quizzes and tests online, due to the hindrances of computers.                       

Ella Cline writes:

I believe students SHOULD take all tests and quizzes online because it is extremely effortless to grade the assignments, and it saves resources and energy. Teachers find it painless to grade tests and quizzes online due to how they can record and post them in a straightforward manner. This is truly helpful because it gives our lecturers some time to themselves to do the activities they wish to do instead of having to grade their students’ assignments. Also, it drastically saves resources and energy. If all quizzes and tests are taken on computers or chromebooks, it will indeed conserve much paper, which would help the environment. Even if this seems like a small action we can take, it will have positive effects if we keep completing exams online. This would also save energy electrically. Electric energy would not be needed as much for chopping and breaking down trees, then transforming it into paper. In conclusion, I believe students SHOULD take all tests and quizzes online due to how teachers find it uncomplicated to grade students’ work and how it greatly affects the amount of resources and energy is conserved.