Parent’s Perspective

Back to Article
Back to Article

Parent’s Perspective

Sanjitha Govindan, Editor in Chief

In recent years, children in middle school have been asked to do more and more homework. Parents are also dragged in sometimes when the student does not understand the homework. According to research, students are receiving large amounts of homework that can lead to excessive amounts of stress. Other studies have shown that that same homework your student is struggling over for hours at night may not affect test scores and can even curtail their learning. At the Toby Bee, we decided to undertake the question of “How much homework is too much?” by interviewing some of these parents on the subject.

We talked to several parents about how much time their students spend on homework. From our reporting, we learned that a middle school student spends almost an hour and a half to two hours a day on homework. Renae Taylor, the mother of Kamryn Taylor, was one of the parents that we interviewed.  “Kamryn spends about one hour to an hour and a half on homework everyday.” she said. “She works on it at the kitchen table, and starts at around 3:30 PM. Homework is important because it confirms everything learned in class, and it is essential.” Another parent, Jessica Trudell, mother of Lana Trudell told the Toby Bee, “Lana does her homework in her room or at the kitchen table, and she usually spends about 45 minutes to one hour on it. She either does her homework after school or in class. It is also important for kids to complete their homework.”

For a look at an eighth grade parent’s point of view, we interviewed Sophia Lin, who is the mother of Abigail Lin. When asked about how much time Abigail spends on homework each night, Mrs. Lin replied, “It depends on the type and the amount of the homework she has been assigned by teachers.” Sometimes, if an essay was assigned, Mrs. Lin explained,  “It could take a while, but if just a few worksheets and pages were assigned in each class, Abigail could get it done in a fairly good amount of time.” Mrs. Lin continued on, “She does it immediately after she comes home from school, usually after eating a snack or two.” Mrs. Lin also shared her thoughts on which subjects she considered the most important to practice. “I think that it’s good for students to do homework, as they can practice what they have learned at school. All subjects have equal importance in terms of how much homework is assigned,” she stated.

The data from parents at Toby Johnson Middle School reveals that students spend an average of about one hour on homework. Parents think that homework is important for several different reasons. Homework allows students to practice what they have learned in school, and makes parents feel like their students are taking school seriously and making progress toward their success.